ABOUT GREATER KING DAVID BAPTIST CHURCH
The Greater King David Baptist Church enjoys a rich and glorious history dating back to 1922. The church, which derived its name from one of Biblical history's greatest kings, King David, evolved out of a division within the New Light Baptist Church. The newly established church, located at 519 Crane Street, was consecrated in 1922 and consisted of approximately thirty-two members. During its formative years, King David Baptist Church, as it would later be called, also carried the name "New Light Baptist Church." This duality continued until 1925, when the Fourth District Association, refused to register two churches bearing the same name. It was at this juncture that the founding father and first Pastor, Reverend Willie Wheeler, along with the Benevolence Society (which shared the Crane Street facility) decided to name the new church "King David Baptist Church and Benevolence Society."